Individual Model Submission


Individual Model Video


https://youtu.be/4weki04AkKg

For my model, I experimented first with how different materials effect the light and shadow. I decided to conduct the experiment using materials that I thought could be used to build the housing that is described in our radical scaffolding project. The first material used is wooden sticks, which would have a similar effect as bamboo scaffolding. The second is glass, which is a material used in most - if not all - buildings and skyscrapers. I also used a netted fabric that is made from bamboo, and also experimented with how doubling the fabric effects the light. I then placed a square piece of foil which completely blocked the light, and then used some dry flowers which might have been similar to the Arish material. 

I found that the wooden sticks, bamboo fabric, and dried plants gave a nice quality of light in the box whereas the glass did not make much of an impact to the harsh, direct light. 

I then chose a few materials to experiment with the impact on heat. I predicted that the more light, the hotter the box would be, however, this was not the case. I first carried out a control test with no material blocking the light to see how much water would melt from the ice. I then moved on to the bamboo cloth, wooden sticks and foil. The results showed that the material which resulted in the least amount of water melting was surprisingly the bamboo cloth, as opposed to my prediction which was the foil. This might have been because although the foil blocked the most light, metal acts as a conductor and transfers heat. 

This model has proved that bamboo is a versatile material. It can be used for scaffolding and can be made into a material that can provide protection from the hot direct sunlight of Dubai, without blocking all natural light. 

Comentarios

  1. subtil video, very nice mode to play with the light and shapes

    ResponderEliminar
  2. I really enjoyed the scientific proof of this video! The knitted fabric seems to do the best job, and the atmosphere it provides is very poetic. Maybe this can be some kind of leitmotif for your project

    ResponderEliminar
  3. The production is very nice and the concept of filter the light for control the energy is interesting. Nice work!

    ResponderEliminar
  4. I realy like how you showed the variability of shadows and lights and the idea of the heat impact what is especially connected with Dubai and its weather. :)

    ResponderEliminar
  5. The change of the light looks fascinating and the way you show the effect to the heat is very educational.

    ResponderEliminar
  6. I really like this kind of experiment and it explaines the reason why you chose bamboo. Maybe I'd like see a little bit more about your project, like how you will use bamboo, but I really liked the video!

    ResponderEliminar

  7. I really like the quality of your model, the play of lights and the purity of the idea, nice work :)

    ResponderEliminar
  8. I think you have used your model in a very successful way when it comes to the exploration of light and shadow as an element!

    ResponderEliminar
  9. Nice footages! Nice play with lights.

    ResponderEliminar
  10. Really interesting and artistic way of showing the different material effects!

    ResponderEliminar
  11. I really like your video because it shows all the effects of each materiality!

    ResponderEliminar
  12. Interesting to see how it depends on the materials of what we look at, and also how different this shadows act on the different textures and shapes. Good job!!

    ResponderEliminar
  13. I like the duality of this project. It's so simple but at the same time so powerful. It's kind of abstract but at the same time so straight to the point.

    ResponderEliminar
  14. A very simple but lovely model. I like how you justified your use of bamboo through the experiment. It would be nice to see some examples of structures where you could use the material.

    ResponderEliminar
  15. A simple model but strong message. This video explains that architecture doesn't have to be difficult. very clever!

    ResponderEliminar
  16. Amazing video! The mood it sets from the beginning is very intense and you managed to convey different concepts with just a handful of objects.

    ResponderEliminar

Publicar un comentario

Entradas populares