The Spectacle of the City





What is a city?
Thousand years ago people were moving from place to place looking for good conditions to survive. They were changing their place to find a food, water and shelters that could save them against the danger. During the time there appeard first cities that started to grow bigger and bigger.
The history of city is long and it shows different meaning of the city in the past. The question is what is a city? What does the city means to people NOW?
In 1933 there appeard an important resolution named Athens Charter. In my opinion it completly changed, not only the look of the city but also the meaning of it. Urban planners started to pay attention to three main elements of the slogan sun, space, green. Designers started to think of the city, not only as a shelter to survive, but also as a place where you can feel happy.
I agree with affirmative that city is not only a shelter. Its a place that create a community where people feel identify. What is more,
 it makes a bond with the culture they create. It can affect on humans personalities with a help of different activities. Though the way it is created can have a huge impact on mental health of citizens.
I totally agree with Mumfords comparison that city is a theater of social actions. It is a place where you can act in front of a huge audience of thousand of people. Designers have an opportunity to create different scenarious and different stages for the play. The live of the citizens can be more dramatic or calm depending on the way city is designed.



                                                         Natalia Wojtaś







Comentarios

  1. your text is relevent and interesting because you well explain how, now, we imagien a city. Do you see common point between the Athenes Charter and the city of Dubai?
    I also really like you videa. I Don't know if I weel understand, but for me it was like if the bowl was the city, and each elements you add, have an impact on all the city.

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. Thank you Anastasia for your comment. The Athenes Charter for me is a breakthroug in history of architecture. People started to think in a different way, designing more for humanity. As I wrote in the next part of my article, I see city as a spectacle that is leads by architects. Dubai for me is this kind of "dramatic" city which is forgotting about this humanity aspect I wrote before. Thats why I see it more in contrast to The Athenes Charter.

      Eliminar
  2. I also think it is interesting how you have shared your opinion on how cities have changed over time and related it to various texts such as the Athens Charter. You mention the enjoyment of the city, for example the sun, greenery and space. Why did you chose to depict your image at night with only people and architecture when you have highlighted the sun and vegetation?

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. Thank you for your comment. Yes, I mention the sun, greenery and space, but also I explained how I see city nowadays. That it's depend on the architects, how the spectacle is leaded. I compared it to the play and at the image shows graphic that I made using the scenery that was created by Josef Svoboda (I really recommend).

      Eliminar
  3. Hi, I love the idea and the way you represent it. Even if you have to (obviously) follow your tutor's instructions I'd recommend you to stick to consistent documents. In your case, I might take some of your references and target one of them: is it a THEATRE? How is it then...with ACTORS AND SPECTATORS?, How do you represent it?. Looks great but I'd try to use the tools of the architect (software, research...) to address some REALITY (or FAKE REALITY). Great Job!!!

    ResponderEliminar

Publicar un comentario

Entradas populares